Thursday, May 7, 2009

Iceland Recap

Dear brethren,

William and Katrece Howard, Linda and I had a very productive trip to Iceland. I am glad that Linda and I both had the opportunity to go and take part in this good work. The main purpose of this effort was the edification of the brethren there in the Word of God and to encourage them by letting them know that being the only Christians in Iceland did not isolate them from the body of Christ.

In our periods of worship and in our daily Bible classes we emphasized some of the basic facts of the Gospel. William and I taught the New Testament pattern of the work and worship of the local congregation. We taught the authority of Christ and how His New Testament superceded the Old Testament in law and authority and how that was done via the Father, Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit, the apostles, and other divinely inspired writers. Linda and Katrece taught the sisters there concerning the women’s role in the work and worship of the Lord’s church and God’s ideal woman and the Christian family. The Icelandic brethren were both amazed and pleased that the Word of God was so complete in instruction and that, for the most part, it was not difficult to understand. We also had Question and Answer sessions and received some deep and difficult questions. These questions proved to be profitable, however, in that they provided even more subjects for study and discussion.

The next trip to Iceland is still in the planning stages and will probably take place in the fall of this year. Please pray for the brethren there that their zeal for the Lord would continue to grow and that they will have the conviction to do whatever the Lord demands.

This trip to Iceland was also a personal test for me. Not to dwell on the subject but, the medicine I am taking is to aggressively fight the cancer in my body. However, it has one huge side effect - it makes me extremely tired. This trip to Iceland was the first mission trip I have taken since the surgery last year and was a test to see how far I could push myself and accomplish something good for the Lord’s work. The way I reasoned was this: if I am going to be tired whether I do anything or not, then, I may as well do all that I can do regardless, within reason.

With that said, please know that I will not be going to Malawi in October this year as originally planned. Driving to and from the classes through the bush and teaching for four hours each day is too strenuous at this point it time. Brother Yaw Boateng and I will not be going to Ghana or England this year as we hoped. Our contacts there did not work out and so we are looking at 2010.

I am going to Zambia this year. Brother Ron Gilbert has asked me to go with him to teach in the Bible School there and also to hold some meetings while we are there. The travel will not be difficult and the flights over will not be as long (a twenty-two hour flight is a long flight). The trip will not be as strenuous and tiring as the trip to Malawi. We will be leaving August 03 and returning August 29. I will need approximately $4,000.00 for this effort. If you can help defray the expenses of this effort please send them to Truth for the World, Post Office Box 5048, Duluth, Georgia 30096-0065 and mark them Hill Missions – Zambia.

Thank you for your continued support and may our kind, loving, and merciful God continue His richest blessings upon you as you do His good will.

In Christ Who Saves,
Jimmie B. Hill


Greetings from Georgia!

I kept a daily journal of our trip on our blog and have been posting pictures since our return, so I hope you have been able to see it. Iceland was incredibly cold when the wind blew, spectacularly beautiful when the skies were clear, and fascinating all the time. The brethren were very sweet, but there is still a tremendous amount they need to learn to be settled and grounded in the faith. I believe our trip served a good purpose for the Lord’s kingdom.

In Christian Love,
Linda Hill

No comments: