Friday, July 31, 2009

August 2009 Newsletter

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Dear brethren,

In the last newsletter, I cited Exodus 36: 5,6 where the craftsmen spoke to Moses and said, "The people bring much more than enough for the service of the work which the Lord commanded us to do. And the people were restrained from bringing." I do not know if ever before that I had all the funds that I needed for a particular area of work that I planned to do. However, at this time I have the funds to purchase the bicycles for the brethren and pay extra baggage charges for all the suits and shoes that were contributed. Your generosity has, once again, touched a tender chord in my heart.

I will be leaving on Monday, August 03, for Livingstone, Zambia. I am looking forward to this trip and seeing and working with the brethren there once again. The last time I was there was about five years ago and at least two of the instructors in the school of preaching now were students then. The trip will be broken up and I will not be making that one long flight from Atlanta, Georgia to Johannesburg, South Africa. Instead, I will fly through London, England and then down to Johannesburg.

Thank you all for your sacrifice. If you wish Linda and me to come and speak to you about our work with Truth for the World, please let me know and we will set up a time to visit with you.

May our God bless you all richly.

In Christ Who Saves,
Jimmie B. Hill



Greetings from Georgia!

July felt like a kaleidoscope, ever changing.
  • 7/1 – In addition to my usual first of the month duties of calculating new TFTW statistics, writing a mini-report for the donation receipt and helping Jimmie publish our mission newsletter; I issued the quarterly financial report.
  • 7/7 – The last envelope of 11,638 Equipping the Saints magazines going overseas was stuffed. I also started reformatting an old edition of this teaching paper on Bible translations so that I can issue a reprint. (I use this one constantly and the secret stash I had been hoarding is almost gone.)
  • 7/8 – Our foreign mail service picked up the magazines - thankfully before a thunderstorm hit. A workroom window sprung a major leak so secretaries and volunteers were rushing to move equipment and catch water, while a power surge knocked out our Riso copy/printer. Luckily, it was just an internal breaker.
  • 7/9 - I spent most of the morning cleaning and clearing areas of the TFTW building to be used by the 30 teens coming to work with the Duluth congregation for VBS. The upstairs was transformed into a dormitory for the girls while the bathroom just outside my office became the shower facility for the boys. Jimmie actually moved out of his office completely and worked at home since the girls would be using his office/bathroom for their showers.
  • 7/13 – The morning started with a tripped breaker – all the girls tried to blow dry their hair at once!
  • 7/14 – Started printing one of the BCC courses. Also, I popped up to Jimmie’s office to water his plants and was startled by the number of sleeping bags in there. One girl was even sleeping on top of his desk!
  • 7/15 – The touala got me. You know, the pesky octopus that lives in your stomach and reaches out to grab things occasionally. I was first introduced to him when we lived in Samoa.
  • 7/16 – Jimmie made a quick trip to TN to pick up some items donated for Zambia.
  • 7/20 – Kristen was due to return after 6-weeks of maternity leave, but Cason had been in the hospital since Saturday with a fever.
  • 7/21 – Cason finally beat the fever and was released late in the day.
  • 7/24 – Jimmie’s checkup on the cellulitis was good news - the infection was gone! He also packed the suits, shoes and books donated for the preaching students in Zambia into 3 LARGE duffle bags. He had ordered grey bags online to avoid the military green ones he found here (not a good look for most African destinations), but what came was . . . military green. I suggested bleaching them, but that didn’t help much.
  • 7/25 – New Hope Road’s annual picnic – fun! I posted some pictures on our blog if you want to take a look.
  • 7/27 – Jimmie and I spent the morning at the hospital in Athens because Emma Evans was having cancer surgery. Emma is a dear friend, member at New Hope Road, and a frequent volunteer at TFTW. Please keep her in your prayers that she may recover completely.
  • 7/28 – Jimmie spoke on the summer series at Duluth Church of Christ.

    (There was more but it wouldn’t fit!)

    In Christian Love,
    Linda Hill

No comments: