Thursday, September 20, 2012

Mail

In today's mail I received an offer for a free cremation.  ??!!  Excuse me, did I read that right?  A free pre-paid cremation just might be mine if I will provide my phone number and email address to a company several states away.  But they stand ready to help me select the "pre-need cremation plan" that is right for my family.   I decided to pass.  Didn't even have to think twice.  But the thing that fascinated me was the sales pitch.  They covered everything except "makes a great Christmas gift".  Then in the really small print at the bottom they ended with an apology "if this letter has reached you at a time of serious illness or death in your family."  Strange, because my guess is that I ended up on their mailing list because I just had a death in the family.  In the past junk mail offers have always been addressed to Jimmie, but this one was to me.

As annoying as this mail was, though, it was not as difficult as the large manila envelope that arrived yesterday.   I had been dreading receiving the death certificates.  It is just so stark seeing it in print.

No comments: