Saturday, October 6, 2012

Snake!

"Gran, there's a snake on your porch!"  That exclamation from Cole interrupted me while on the phone to my sister and quickly derailed our entire conversation.  How do you chat about anything else after hearing that?  Julie found a monstrous snow shovel in the garage while I grabbed the only other long-handled weapon I could find - a rake - and we prepared to do battle.  But even though this snake was small (perhaps 8 inches long) its color, markings and shape indicated that it was probably poisonous.  Its demeanor quickly said that it was aggressive.  So when I mentioned calling someone instead Julie quickly agreed that was a very good idea.

The person I called was William Howard and, as usual, he was quick to come to the rescue.  He arrived ready for the fight, even brought his own long-handled hoe, the weapon of choice for dispatching snakes.  After he dispatched this one William took a look and decided it was probably a small water moccasin.  Whoa!  I am glad that we called for backup.

I have lived in this house for 13 years and this is the first snake I have seen.  Now I just hope he didn't have a mother hanging around.

No comments: